Thursday 31 October 2013

20 Questions with Author, Mel Massey

Ok guy & gals... Here it is, the very first Small Songs - 20 Questions Interview...

Thanks must go to Author Mel Massey for being our first interviewee

Her book Getaway is available on www.Amazon.com from today!

Synopsis: When Lisa goes to visit her parents, she comes home to an empty house. Or so she thinks. As a storm rages outside, Lisa tries to getaway from something unknown that's hiding in the shadows.

 20 Questions

1. What are you best known for? 

 Well, I don’t think I’m known for much just yet! However, I am the witch that writes about witches, magick and all things paranormal. The witches that are the most important in EARTH’S MAGICK are gray witches and that’s fun and unique to write about. 

 2. How did you get involved in your line of work? 

I’ve been writing for years. I’ve only recently plucked up the courage to let others read it. 

3. What advice would you give someone just starting out in the same line of work? 

To simply write their story. Whatever that is, just write it. Worry about all the other stuff later on. Get it on paper first then make a plan for it. 

4. What was your last project? 

GETAWAY, the short scary story for Halloween/Samhain is my last completed project. I’m currently writing book two in the EARTH’S MAGICK series. But I’ve come to love writing short stories as well. I’ll be putting out a few companion novellas in between novels. 

5. What’s next? 

More EARTH’S MAGICK, novellas and possibly some short stories as they pop up. 

6. Name a person in the same line of work as you who you admire. 

Oh, that’s an easy one, Anne Rice. We all know her books, love them or hate them she’s amazing at her craft. More importantly, she’s a huge supporter of other writers. She’s an advocate of indie publishing and human rights. She’s just an all-around fabulous woman. I sent her an email, after I signed with my publisher, thanking her for her constant encouragement of fledgling writers. Ms. Rice has put out YouTube videos and interviews all full of advice for us newbie writers – and I watched every single one of them. I thanked her for that and do you know what? She wrote me back. She congratulated me and wished me all the luck in the world. I genuinely love that beautiful lady. 

7. What one thing would you do if you knew that you could not fail? 

Write a screen play. I looked into it because, for a while, I had a few ideas for a movie. I gave up after I saw what an overwhelming undertaking that is. Sheesh…those people deserve all kinds of credit. 

8. How do you want to be remembered? 

As the witch that wrote about witches and held nothing back while doing it. 

9. What do you love/enjoy most about your work? 

I think writers write because we have to. We have imaginary friends pounding on the inside of our minds just fighting to live the imaginary life we plan to give them. I love that the most. The constant conversations with my imaginary friends. 

10. What was the strangest or funniest incident you’ve experienced

Oh goodness, I surround myself with the super strange. But if we’re talking about my writing life, I’d have to say the editing process of one of my books. My editor, Kate, left the BEST editorial notes. Sometimes a simple, “SNORT” at funny parts but once, I wrote, “Her face melted into pure joy.” To which Kate responds, “EWWWW”. I laughed for real when I read that and realized what she was trying to tell me. Her EXPRESSION melted into that of pure joy. If her face actually melted, well, that’s a plot twist! 

11. What do you do in your spare time?

I’m a mother of two very active kids so I write while they’re at school and then play chauffer, soccer mom, football mom, etc. for the rest of the evening. 

12. Who inspires you?

Not really a who but a what- Being able to freely practice as a witch gives me the most inspiration. Every time I light incense, candle or spend time in meditation I feel revived and ready to write. 

13. Describe yourself in 3 words 

Witty, Passionate and Impulsive 

14. Favourite colour

Green, but deep, earthy green. 

15. If you could have dinner with any 3 people alive or dead who would they be? 

I love this question. This one is easy; Bill Maher, Jon Stewart and Anne Rice. What a merry dinner that would be! 

16. What would I find in your refrigerator right now?

Leftovers, lots of carrots (not sure why), almost empty milk, almost empty juice and cheese. I need to shop… 

17. What is the last book you read? 

SHE by H. R. Haggard (My favorite) 

18. What is next to your bed at the moment? 

A pile of clean laundry. 

19. What would your one “can’t live without it” item be?

Oh gosh…..coffee. If I can’t have coffee in the morning the entire day just sucks. Of course, the same could be said for wine in the evening. If I don’t have wine my nights are all stress and chaos. 

And finally...

20. Favourite Season Spring. 

I love the spring time colors and green everywhere. 

So there you have it... Mel Massey in a nut shell, but if you want to find out more about Mel or her books then please head on over to her facebook page and give her a big thumbs up. Also remember that her recent project Getaway is available for only 77p on Kindle and includes a free sneek peek at her next book Earth's Magick too!

If you would like to be interviewed for the Small Songs Blog then you can contact Arietta here or at her facebook page

No comments:

Post a Comment